Monday, June 1, 2009

Iron Angels - Unit Patch









My final unit patch...the Iron Angels logo. The Iron Angels, a fictional search an' rescue/combat medic team that risks life an' limb for the good of their comrades. I tried to come up with a really cool, honorable logo that combines the selflessness of an angel + a medic team, with the rustiness, dirtiness of war.

This one was really tough to do...iron is this ugly brownish/red color, and angels stir up thoughts of sky blue, golden haloes, and angelic white. How the heck was I gonna balance these two out? After like 9 different versions, I finally came up with a solution I was happy with. Instead of choosing a rusty appearance over a more "heavenly" one, or vice-versa, I said, "Eff it! Let's do both." The top version is a sketch of my idea, the middle one is an early stage one where I was experimenting with combining rust + nice metallic metal, and the last one is my final.

I added a reflection of a sky/sunset to the wings and "Iron ngels" to give it a metallic reflection look. I loved doing this logo, and I think out of all four of the ones I've posted, it's my most successful, as far as appearance and the final solution.

I put the whole thing against black to make it stand out more, and I tilted the halo to give it a more "casual" look.

No comments: